Pages

Wednesday 24 February 2016

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Turned 25



          Last year I turned 25. It was a huge eye-opener for me. I quickly realized that I was now an adult.I had to do adult things, I had to "act my age". How was I supposed to do that when I've never been this old before?
There are ten things I really wish I knew before I turned 25. These things are not miniscule, they are life-altering. To me they were a large plethora of reality that hit me like a brick wall. I woke up one morning and found out so many things at once it was like a euphoria of emotions.
Following are the ten things I wish I knew before turning 25.
1. Money Doesn't Grow on Trees
This is somewhat of a reality-check for me. I had to learn that in order to have nice things, you had to work for them. It took a lot for me to come to terms with the fact that nothing comes for free, it requires dedication
2. Education is Important, to an Extent
There, I said it. To an EXTENT. Yes, education is important. Please, be smart enough to do simple maths, and read a book once in a while. Educate YOURSELF. Never stop learning. It's not just all-nighters and grinding down into textbooks trying to make something of yourself. It's in your skills, what you're good at, and you should never be ashamed of your education level.
3. Don't Settle for Less than You Deserve
Oh, how I wish I knew this when I was younger. Then again, do any of us know what we deserve or are worth when we are young? If I could tell my younger self one thing, it would be that I was worth so much more than I allowed myself to be back then.
4. Don't Rush Life
Everything will come in time, young me. Take the time to smell the roses, as they say. Slow down. Breathe. It's all going to be okay one day and you'll look back and wish it all hadn't gone by so quickly. You'll never get that time back, take it all in.
5. There is Such a Thing as Fate
I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason. Fate exists, it's all around you. You fall over in the grocery store and that cute guy helps you up, or you just so happen to be in the same bar as the pretty waitress you've had the hots for awhile and she's giving you the eye. Everything you do, everyone you meet, contributes to your fate.
6. It's a Great Thing to Save Money
Oh, if I only knew this before. I can barely save now, thanks to my spending habits. Thank you, young me, for never learning the value of a dollar. I have learned to keep a jar. Any cash I receive ends up in said jar, and remains untouched. That is just one way I try to save. The jar is currently empty. Thank you, Young me.
7. Take Joy in the Little Things
This statement I will yell from the rooftops. Please, enjoy every single little thing, every miniscule moment. The world is at your fingers, young one. The good, the bad, the ugly. Every moment is a blessing in disguise. You never know when something will change. When your life will topsy-turvy and you'll lose everything. You never know when those little things will be all you have left, so appreciate them now.
8. Grab Every Opportunity
I am an opportunist. I grasp life by the (a-hem!) nevermind, and I roll with it. You can't have opportunity without risk. That's all part of the fun! When I was younger, I was always afraid to take a risk, (what if I failed?). Failure doesn't scare me as much anymore, and I'm all for taking risks and taking names. You never know where an opportunity will take you in the end, so grasp them while they are there, it's all part of the ride.
9. Young Love is Still Love
How do I know this? I look back on my past and there are still people I love to this day. They know who they are too. There are three specific ones that stand out in my head, and the funny thing is, they weren't ex-boyfriends. I loved these people and they loved me. Looking back, I see how I went with the wrong people, how I ended up with people who didn't deserve me. The ones that stood by the sidelines and now are happy with others as I am happy with mine, and we remain friends.
10. Don't Forget Whose Legs You're On
The world owes you nothing. No one owes anyone anything. It's the harshest reality of them all. Only you can change your world.
Turning 25 changed my life. I know I'm still young, but I have had a lot of time to think. I've got it all(most).

No comments:

Post a Comment